The Bloomsbury Colleges PhD Studentships
The Bloomsbury Colleges are a consortium of six University of London colleges comprising Birkbeck, Institute of Education, Royal Veterinary College, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, School of Oriental and African Studies and The School of Pharmacy.
The consortium is offering ten PhD studentships, each of three years duration, to start October 2007. The studentships will cover course fees (at the usual level for UK and EU studentships) and a student stipend. (Studentships where the Institute of Education is the lead college will cover the full fee for non-EU students plus a stipend). They will encompass a wide range of topics spanning the biomedical and social sciences and humanities, reflecting the diversity of disciplines represented in the consortium.
The studentships available are as follows:Biological, Veterinary & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Development of models of human intestinal epithelium to study how infection by Campylobacter jejuni causes diarrhoeal disease.
- Relationship between medication error and patient harm due to adverse drug effects.
- Antibacterial compounds from locusts.
- The physicochemical characterisation and optimisation of a new cost affordable amphotericin B medicine.
- Investigations into Acg and other putative nitrosoreductases, key proteins in the dormancy phase of tuberculosis.
- Modification of bacterial surface polysaccharide as a novel therapy for Streptococcus suis meningitis and septicaemia in the pig.
- Poultry movement networks in Vietnam and their impact on the spread and control of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) H5N1 infection.Education, Social Sciences & Humanities
- Strengthening open, distance and flexible learning systems to increase education access and attainment for young people living in high HIV prevalance areas in Malawi.
- Development NGOs and human rights education.
- A history of the origins and uses of the 1946 and 1958 British Cohort Studies (1945 -1981).
Further details are available fromhttp://www.bloomsbury.ac.uk/studentshipsClosing Date: 29th March 2007